Saturday, April 24, 2010

Summer Sales: entering the tool box? I think not.

For the longest time I vowed I would never do summer sales. Why is this? Everything I have heard about summer sales is mostly negative-big promises, terrible work and people getting ripped off. Having been an LDS missionary and experiencing what its like going door to door for hours and days on end, I know how hard it is. However, as a missionary I had a burning conviction, motivation and desire for the 'product' and message I was sharing. So, how could I go door to door for four months selling something I dont have conviction in, cant see the benefit of and have no motivation for? I couldnt is the answer, which is why I said I would never sell. Also, there is the HUGE stereotype and stigma regarding summer salesmen.  Many of which are just that, stereotypes that are over emphasized and too commonly labeled on people. I will now illustrate some of these stereotypes, with a heavy amount of satire on the side.

Stereotype A: The Lifestyle

Poor lifestyle choice one: being a tool

Urban Dictionary defines a tool as: "One who lacks the mental capacity to know he is being used. A fool. A cretin. Characterized by low intelligence and/or low self-esteem."


Basically anyone of these guys from MTV's Tool Academy could be seen thus summer knocking your door...

 Poor lifestyle choice two: the apparel

Snag yourself some gaudy True Religions, preferably with heavy amounts of white stitching, some Afflicted t-shirts (ones with felt crosses or skulls gain double tool points), anything Ed Hardy, humongous Spy sunglasses (worn on the back of the head) and some white K Swiss' and your set.

TIP: all t-shirt sizes should be down two sizes from what one usually wears.




Poor lifestyle choice three: the tan...

 I have nothing to add to this. I laughed for a good 5 minutes straight. 
Lessons learned: moderation in all things, some tanning is ok (source of vitamin D)
too much fake baking makes you look like and Oompa Loompa, or this
   like this man who I am guessing just covered himself in brown sugar, butter, 
some gold dust flakes and baked outside for a few hours.

Dont get me wrong, who doesnt like to be tan? I sure do. Just refer above for what not to do.

Poor lifestyle choice four: the whip, aka automobile.


 "Hello, I sold over 800 accounts last summer and snagged me this ride. Sad you cannot see the playboy bunny mud flaps."

Stereotype B: The Attitude

One hears of the constant swindling, arm pulling and deceiving that must take place during summer sales to even make a sale. Fools. Exact quote from a friend, "I didnt have one sale last summer where I didnt have to pull their arm a little." There are some people who can mentally shut off their integrity for a summer to make sales to people who cant afford what they are selling and who dont need it; I am not one of those people.

Resolution: Blue Sky Pest Control
So, with all that in mind, why am I going to sell this summer? WHY?! Since I made the decision I have received mostly expressions of disappointment. Boo. However there are those who know me well enough to understand I must be doing it for some good reason. Correct.

I was introduced to Blue Sky Pest control through a job placement agency for returned missionaries. Since I was introduced I have been nothing but impressed. Stationed in Mesa, Arizona and covering the entire metro area, they have become the best at what they do in the region.

Why sell there and with them?

1. Arizona has lots of bugs. Big ones like tarantulas and scorpioins.
2. Its hot, so the bugs wanna get inside.
3. Buying pest control is on peoples monthly expenditures like the water and electrical bill. Its something they already plan on purchasing, so I am not pestering them for something they dont want or need. Its not a luxury, its a necessity.
4. I am going with my best friend and cousin Kyle
5. We know people in the metro Phoenix area
6. The owners of Blue Sky are legit. One formerly worked for Franklin Covey and PricewaterhouseCoopers. They have been in the industry for a long time as well. Solid guys.
7. Arizona seems like a fun place. I love living outside Utah and this will be a nice change.
8. This is where Blue Sky is letting us live...

Beach, cardio cinema, bungalows, 3 acre lake...quaint.

Why sell?

Here are my goals and motivation that will get me through this summer:

1. Pay of my $4,500 in student loans I used to go on study abroad before I graduate
2. Set aside at least $5,000 for my internship next summer. Ideally, New York, London or Seattle.
3. Invest.
4. Be completely and totally financially independent from my parentals.
5. Buy the camera I want so I can do photography as a side job/hobby
6. Have the money to purchase all the supplies, software and resources needed for my major.
7. Have some peace of mind while in school that the future isnt utterly bleak financially
8. Go on a vacation somewhere I never have been and be able to pay for it myself!

So, thats it. I am leaving in two weeks to Phoenix for the summer and I cant wait; stereotypes and all, I am doing it. And I relish in proving those stigmas wrong....





5 comments:

  1. dear brady,
    from now on... consider yourself stalked.

    yours truly,
    your best friend,
    bosom,
    hookie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps that tan guy looks like smokey the bear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SCOOBY DOO. the man looks like scooby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty sure you sold me... I don't see why someone WOULDN'T do summer sales.

    ReplyDelete