Tuesday, August 4, 2009

8.4.09 Last day of Study Abroad!!

Wow. Five weeks just flew by. Here's the rundown for the day. We started out meeting up with the whole group and headed towards the infamous Buckingham Palace; which just opened for he summer tour season.


We got out tickets and audio tour and began our royal tour. I loved the palace. Its everything you image a royal palace to be like. Sadly no pictures were allowed on the inside, therefore I dont have much to show for our journey out there.

Back view where we exited.

Many parts of it felt almost like a really shnaz hotel. Which was nice because it felt very inviting and regal, not gaudy and overwhelming. our tour through it lasted about 45 minutes and ended with us going out into the gardens which were awesome.

Yes, those two little ladies in cloaks...Asians. Go figure.


This is at the top of the wall surrounding the palace. Good luck with sneakin in.

After our royal adventure we exited and attempted to go to the tube station. After wandering a while, we finally made it to the station. When we got there all we heard were alarms, and there were ambulances, policemen and firetrucks everywhere. So of course the underground (aka the tube. aka the subway) was closed. When we got close this is what we heard on the overcom speakers, "The Victoria line is currently closed due to a person under the train." They have zero tact about announcing when someone has somehow gotten on the tracks. Not funny at all, but guess how many times its happened since we have been here. THREE! Three times! There are big signs and announcements by the platforms that say "Mind the gap" meaning the gap between the platform and the train.

That one had quite a healthy gap.

Which sometimes is like two inches and other times its a good foot, requiring a bit of a leap. So somehow people are either getting wedged in the gap, getting pushed in front of a train or voluntarily jumping in front of it; which sadly happens quite often. So after that fiasco we were able to get to another tube stop and off we each went our separate ways.

Cant leave London without one of these pics.

As for myself, back to the sports mecca I went. I still had floors 4-6 to explore. I love that place so much. I made some great purchases and then felt I needed to experience the one and only Harrods. Luckily I wasnt dressed too casual or I would have felt like a fool inside. Gucci, Prada, Dolce, Marc Jacobs and Burberry lined the walls with their mocking price tags that I dont know who can afford. Harrods Cashmere cardigan? Only 1,400 pounds. Yes, thats the equivalent of $2,370. For some cloth that drapes around your shoulders. It blows my mind. I however, after pretending like I could afford jazz like that made my way to the gift shop. You heard me right, this department store has its own giftshop and Harrods has done better at finding things to slap their name on then any store I have ever seen. I proceeded to spend large sums of money on things like english buscuits and chocolate, then explored some more. I had to stop and take a picture when I came upon the Egyptian escalators. Normal ones just would not suffice for Harrods, oh no.


Harrods was a very magical time, filled with beautiful things and beautiful people selling them. Maybe one day I will be able to actually purchase something to wear there, not just eat. As for now I dont mind the chocolate.

Exhausted I came back to the flat and began getting everything ready to go tomorrow. We have to be at the train station at five am, so the chances of us going to sleep are slim. However, the Fab 5 did all go out to dinner together for the last time at the Gormet Burger Kitchen. It was delicious of course. And now I am here, sitting on my bed, with my bags packed on the floor in an empty room. I have a funny feeling inside like I am leaving something that has become a part of me. But at the same time I could not be more excited to get back home and finish out the rest of my summer there. I have loved every city we have gone to, and have nothing but love for this trip. For the last time from London, cheers!!








No comments:

Post a Comment