Monday, June 6, 2011

I'm in LA trick

week three here in the sunny city and it just jeeps gettin better.

after memorial day it was hard to get back into 'work mode'. I guess that's true after any fun five-day weekend. work was slower this week, however still eventful. after our big push last week to get stuff sent out for fabrication there wasn't as much craziness going on.

this week was filled with more unique tasks, that were all educational and entertaining. I first had the task of shopping online for a POS (point of sale) software that would be MAC compatible for Kelly's retail store. there are many options out there, most of which are very expensive. so that was new. then I had the task of shopping for retail mannequins for the store; mostly entertaining, yet slightly educational. I was amazed at the vast realm of materials, poses, facial feature & hair options, as well as varying degrees of anatomical realism. so many options out there for the retail store accessory consumer.

these fun children however took the cake on the creepy award. who dreams wouldn't they haunt?


horrible right? the sunken eye's and hand holding just make it worse. plus the emo haircuts.

also on thursday, I had my first errand running experience. and it was fantastic. due to the slowness off the office I was thrilled to get out and about. I wad to drop off some sconces at a showroom that was so sweet, all custom light fixtures. I did however have to handle the fact that one of them had a "chip" on it. yeah didnt know what really to say about that. I just told him that everything was in the original packaging and he could call Kelly if it was really a problem. that comment made it no longer a problem. there are perks working for a respected and powerful woman. she's kind of a diva/ bad a$% in this town.

I then headed downtown to a leather outlet where we get most of our materials. fascinating fact: K Dubs uses some rad materials. I was picking up six crocodile hides that are going on dining chairs. also sting ray skins. she also uses a lot of snake skin, ostrich and other bizarre leathers. I enjoy walking into places and saying I am from Kelly Wearstler and they treat me like gold. The middle eastern man that greeted me instantly offered me a beverage and took me into the back to inspect the hides before I took them. with my vast knowledge in rare albino crocodile skin quality, I approved and was on my way. I then took them to Julio, our custom upholstery guy. his shop was in the ghetto, on the south side of the train tracks. no sign, no door. I had to call him to let me in the over sized garage door around back. after initially feeling like I stepped into an underground crack house or something, I saw all the furniture and friendly latinos and was put at ease. his place was rad. so much cool stuff. he does all Kelly's custom furnishings and is amazing. he showed me around and I got to see lots of the pieces that are in production. very cool.

after work I deaded back downtown to kenleys to make dinner and watch sytycd. I mentioned previously how rad her apartment complex is right?


point proven. its sweet. 

our goal for the evening was Skillet Summer Vegetable Lasagna. its out of some summer 2010 cookbook that kyle and I snagged last summer in arizona. we were stoked thinking we would learn how to make a whole bunch of these 30 minute meals-failed. we didnt even try once. so I am redeeming myself in summer 2011.


ours however ended looking nothing like the picture...


looks kinda gross actually. but it was reeeeal tasty. I have leftovers in the fridge actually.

friday was spent by hitting up my new gym, Equinox. its pretty shnaz. I got a free pass from one of my co workers for a few months and was thrilled. when I initially met her and we got talking about where I lived and how the adjustment was, she then asked, "so what gym have you joined?!" feeling foolish for obviously not taken that as a higher priority I told her I was shopping around. she assured me no where was better then Equinox and I could have her free pass. I gladly accepted. thats when she began telling me the times when all the celebrities are there working out...oh wait, what? apparently its the popular beverly hills gym that hollywoods A listers like to work up on their fitness, and I am fine with that. my first day, exciting because the place is unreal and I had a sighting of this lovely girl...


kewl that lo bosworth works out at the same facility. lo was always one of my favorite from laguna and the hills. mellow, nice, down to earth-I like that. so we will see who else pops up during celebrity gym time.

after the gym I went back to kenleys to hang out at her awesome pool for the afternoon, followed by dinner at Manila Good-NA! the first filipino restaurant I have seen here in LA. they were so nice and the food was so good.

chicken adobo, rice and veggies cooked in coconut milk...

followed by some halo-halo

I was so happy. and the old filipino ladies were laughing hysterically because I could speak tagalog. it shocks some, and doesn't even phase some. it was so fun though. smelled like familiar places and tasted like pure comfort food.

that evening I opted for a flick. dr pepper and junior mints in hand I took on THOR.


kinda wish I wouldn't have. well, no. thats not true. there are very few movies that I watch and wish that I hadn't wasted the two hours spent viewing it. only one I can say that about is drag me to hell. should have known from the title. my friend alex said it was the best scary movie he had ever seen. I learned very quickly that alex has zero taste in picking quality films. the title didnt relate at all to the movie and it was the dumbest thing I have ever watched. not scary, not worth having even made it.

back to THOR. it was alright. quality cast, quality idea- lacked a stirring plot and kinda predictable. I would give it a 6 out of 10. it had some funny moments, and I really liked natalie portman in it. I feel like everyone is just wanting to hop on this blockbuster, over the top super hero movie train. really though, nothing has topped dark knight for me yet. its the best.

so THOR, maybe wait till you can snag it at a redbox.

saturday was an all day adventure. started out with brunch at the griddle in hollywood. I went with the other three USU interns, and after a 45 minute wait we were in. this place is money. a hidden gem of los angeles. I got the scotch on the rocks pancakes- buttermilk flap jack batter mixed with coconut, pecans, caramel and butterscotch chips. topped with butter and whipped cream. basically an artery clogging heart attack smothered with syrup, my favorite condiment. this baby was too much to handle...


soo good. so rich. too heavy. this could have been shared between four plus another dish. not okay for one human being. I didnt go very far into it till I was full...


I will however be having it for breakfast everyday this following week.

after the griddle we headed to supposedly an 'art walk' which ended up being non existent. fun surprise though that the directions we had lead us to the herman miller showroom. yay! herman miller produces a lot of the worlds office furniture and other sexy things to sit or lounge upon.


pretty thrilled
hm is LEED gold certified. way to go hm

 after that failed adventure, we headed to venice beach. it was my first time, however definitely not my last.





such gems we found during our strolling.
after venice we went back to Jess, Haley and Hollands pad to chill and eat some grilled cheese and pesto sandies. and hummus. lovely even snack before our night out on the town.

my friend Morgan is in town for the mtv movie awards and we wanted to hang out with her last night. so we got our nice duds on and headed downtown to her brother in laws place. he opted to take us to the edison first. this place was rad. so rad. it was originally and underground lair during the prohibition days. its 1920's glam with a little grunge. it was kewl. edison-esque bare light bulbs lit the place everywhere you looked. lots of brick, worn, tufted leather and LA's uppercrust citizens. we loved it. 



we then assisted morgans bro-in-law home to the fact he couldnt really stand anymore. the drinks at the edison are strong apparently. plus he is a lightweight. and then we were off again.

no plan in hand we headed back towards hollywood. teddy's at the roosevelt was next. morgan talked our way into there, even though there was a guest list and we danced for a good while. we then ventured across the street to level 3 nightclub. after holland could get some $6 a slice pizza...not worth it.


 getting in to level 3 was the highlight of my night. the cover was $20 each, but after some slick talking we got it down to $20 for just holland and I and the girls were free. when we got to the door man all the cash we had was $2. pressured by the line and the fact he had cameras on him, he reluctantly let us in. ha ha ha, I was dying. we bounced around the 4 dj's, finding the hip hop room so morg and I could get our stank on for a bit. and yes, we were the only white people in there. all in all, it was a great evening.
so much fun and very memorable.


great week. great weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, so many comments, so little time. 1st - Dr. Pepper and Junior Mints - I'm so proud to call you my tiny brother! 2. Yes that does look super gross, but I'm glad it was good and good enough to eat as left overs. 3. I totally support and approve your new found love of gold. I feel the way in which you love it is not only appropriate, but well founded. 4. I enjoy so much the lovely things and people you feel it necessary to photograph. It brings me joy!

    ReplyDelete