Thursday, April 28, 2011

summer internship

after your junior year at Utah States interior design program everyone is required to fulfill a 6 week minimum internship. I of course began thinking about this a year ago. Its interesting how it all worked out however. My picks (in no real order) were incredible architect and interior designer Peter Marino out of New York, Rees Roberts out of New York, Olson Kundig Architects in Seattle and Kelly Wearstler in West Hollywood. Peter Marino decided not to take summer interns, Rees Roberts werent deciding unitl now and Olsen Kundig does a 6 month paid internship. However, all of that was realized after my interview in LA at KWID. USU has a great relationship with Kelly's office and arranged for me to interview there in person before spring break.

Preface: K Dubs is in the realm of celebrity homes and 5 star restaurants and hotels all over the world. I arrived outside her office valet in my parents blue Suburban with a car full of other college spring breakers.

Upon stepping out of the marble elevator I was encountered with this view:


followed by this:


followed by this:


Her studio was amazing. small and personal. the interview was great. they were very complimentary. I was offered the internship, and a few weeks later accepted. the deal sealer was the guest house of a family friend 5 minutes away from the office that was offered to me for the summer. I CANT WAIT! an office of 15, a few interns, 2 architects and some awesome celeb clientele. it gonna be an adventure.

  here is some sampledge (which is a word I made up, but go with it) of some of K Dubs work.

 The Tides Hotel in South Beach...





 Viceroy Anguilla...








 Viceroy Santa Monica...

Maison 140 Hotel

 she also does textile design...

 product design...

and is a judge for Bravo's Top Design

she's kewl. and I am excited. 


1 comment:

  1. Love Lonny Mag. One of my friends here works for their photo dept.

    ReplyDelete