Sunday, July 19, 2009

7.18.09 Last day in Paris

So, it was our last day in Paris and it was a perfect ending to our time here in France. Honestly though, I have been quite ready to move on to London. I love Paris, and the pasteries and cheese, but after a week here and seeing everything we need a fresh adventure. And that shall come in London, I am sure. But to start out the day we got to sleep in a bit, snagged some breakfast then decided to tackle the Eiffel Tower.


Ali and Ashley have already been up it, so just the three of us headed out.


After waiting for close to two hours, going through security and having to leave out Vespa's and bikes behind to go up, we got on the elevator.

Seriously? Is this a problem? Are they getting masses of people that wish to ride their Vespa's around and around on top of the Eiffel Tower? Not sure...

Up and up we went to about 3/4 of the way where you have to switch to another elevator to go to the top. By this point it was a little after 1:00 and we had to meet up with the group at 2:00 and the line to go the last leg to the top was huge. We debated a bit, but sadly accepted defeat and headed back down.


Thanks 9 euro, you gave us great views from the Eiffel Tower...3/4 the way up. Who comes to Paris, pays to go up, and doesnt go to the top? Oh, me. Snap. But we were positive about it and glad we could go up at all!

Me, with a smile despite the failure I felt inside.

It was cool and we did get great views of Paris. We then rushed back to meet the group in the nick of time and hopped on a bus heading for Fountain Bleau, the precursor to Versailles and home to Napolean.

The palace entrance

Prior to leaving the hotel though, I took some medicine for my stomach, just a liquid narcotic that numbs it. We recently found out that its just a form of Opium...which does funny stuff to me. Go figure. Sometimes it makes me dizzy, and a little out of it, and sometimes it makes me act strange. Like today apparently. I just remember feeling like I was melting and kinda dizzy. And easily ammused. AKA being drunk. But not really. It really set in when we were walking to the palace and Ali asked me what I was doing. I though it was obvious as I was holding up my camera in front of me, taking a picture. She then informed me that the camera wasnt on. Was that funny, yes. But I guess I thought it was hilarious cause I couldnt stop laughing for like five minutes. Thanks tummy juice for keeping things real. Back to the palace, I loved the feel there, as it was much smaller and homey then Versailles.

No reason, just though it was a cool chair.

There was also a lot more wood used in the interior, which is a nice change from all the marble, stone and gold guilding.

Dont get me wrong though, there was plenty of guilding going on. It was Napoleon, remember? The man who took the crown from the Pope at his ceremony and crowned himself? He had some issues. Small Man Syndrome. Anywho, this was his thrown.

In the back is a way cool lake and miles of gardens. In the courtyard was a really good sorbet stand, which of course we took advantage of.

Our sorbets- kiwi, apricot, pineapple, peach and something else

After Fountain Bleau our bus driver took us to a huge grocery store to load up for a picnic we had at Vaux le Vicomte, palace to Nicolus Foquet. The story goes that Louis the 14th, the king at the time went to some extravagent party thrown at Vaux, more grand then anything he had ever seen. Bitter because of his own financial crisis, and feeling outdone by Nicholus, we had Foquet thrown into prison and conjured up a false case against him. Crazy business. Oh, back to our picture, or should I say feast? No, smorgesbord.

Found this little gem at the store. Thank you Twix 10x2

We got a lot of food, but realized for the first time on this trip we could happily say there was TOO MUCH food!

Get me meat, cheese, bread and chocolate and I am happy as a clam

It was a happy realization and a great feeling for all of us. After our picnic we snapped some sweet pics outside of Vaux at the gates then headed in for a quick potty break before entering the palace.

Fab 5 at Vaux

We do, because we can. And we can, because we are cool.

Little did I know I would be greeted with this little gem in the bathrooms...

Misuer Squatter

It was first for me and the squatters. Not a big deal, I lived in the Philippines and used "facilities" (for lack of a better word) far worse then this. So, carefully wedged against the wall, I thought I was stable...when all the sudden both of my feet slip straight out in front of me! Woosh! Like a ninja my arms shot striaght out against the walls and caught me before went in the drink. (The golf lingo was fitting there) It was a close call though for sure and was near the fate of calling out for help, but managed to muscle my way back up. Round one with the squatters, Brady 1- Squatter 1/2. It was a close match. We then embarked upon this enchanted land of Vaux.


By far my most favorite palace and grounds I have been to yet. Move me in cause its perfect. Smaller in scale, easy to take in, incredible surroundings and much more cozy then the other monstrosities that we have seen.


We were there late in the day because there was going to be a candlelit tour of the house and grounds. They light candles in all the rooms, chandeliers and all around the gardens so you get the affect of how it used to be. In our regular fashion though, it rained.

One of my favorite pics of the Fab 5

Its rained a few times since we have been in Paris. Here in Europe we now have experieced hurricane Paulo in Rome, and hurricane Isabella in Paris. What will London bring? However, despite the rain, it was amazing! The gardens are unreal, and its like you have stepped into a movie! A movie that we felt was neccesary to capture the essence of...



Priceless. Priceless. The music, no, we did not add that. They have it blasting all around the grounds, just for effect. Thank you Vaux, thank you. This place is so perfect that apparently Eva Longoria had her wedding here. How much to rent out Vaux for your exclusive wedding? A cool $20,000. For the day. (Now, go back and reread those last few sentenses in the British voice of the guy on VH1 that does the Fabulous Life commentary. Its much more impactful) After a good frolicing through the garden and wooded pathways, we hopped back on the bus around 11:30pm to head back to Paris. Again, it was a perfect ending to our time here in Pairee. Au revoir...for the last time.

1 comment:

  1. bood i love your pics. you are so artistic :) miss you!

    ReplyDelete