Tuesday, July 28, 2009

7.28.09 London

Today was excited seeing as how we got to "sleep in" and meet at the tube station only at 7:50 this time. I am afraid our time here in London is starting to feel a bit like the movie Groundhog Day; wake up early, ride the tube, then the train, see a big house, explore that town, ride the train back to the tube then walk home. Although its been amazing to see so many different places, the days have started to blur. However, today was eventful in many ways.

The train took us to the smashing town of Oxford, famous for its prestigious university and rowing team. And as we learned first hand, its also famous for Blenheim Palace. After arriving in Oxford we got on a double decker bus (our first in the UK) and made our way to the palace.

Fab 5 on the double decker throwing out the BJF's.


The palace was built in 1705 as a home for the Duke at the time, and also was the birthplace to Sir Winston Churchill. We were able to see an exhibit featuring his life, displaying photographs and stories; as well as walk through the bedroom he was born in. However, before we explored that on our own, we were told of an "audio guided tour" that we could go on inside the palace that lasted about a half hour. Thinking this would be like the other audio tours we have been on with a walkie-talkie like device that told us facts as we walk along, we gave it a whirl. It sadly turned into a bad Disney-esque ride gone wrong. Filled with animatronic people with projected faces and sound effects, it was quite the experience. Afterwards we were excited for some fresh air and made our way outside to the incredible gardens.


That lawn literally went on for miles. It was like grass on a fairway
and I wanted to lay upon it.


Everything there was perfectly done. Like a movie.

We walked down a path that lead us to this sign... and how could we not go in?

Not anymore, we found the secret.

We attempted a family photo on this branch. Attempted being the key word there.

Just some bum in the garden.

Ah snap, it was me.

The back view of the palace.

After our adventures at Blenheim we set off to explore the city center of Oxford with two goals at hand. One, to find some food and two, to find Ali and I Oxford sweatshirts.

I will go to school here. Yes I will.

We found the food quite easily and then set out on the sweatshirts. We both wanted hoodless ones, which turned out to be harder then we antcipated. Ali submitted to a hoodie at one store (none of which fit my orangatang torso) so I pressed on to another store. Whats the first thing we see when we walk in? Hoodless sweatshirts. Ali mustered the guts to go back and return hers to the store literally two stores back, while I of course couldnt find a hoodless one that would fit me. I settled with a hoodie, but felt ok about it cause I got a free t-shirt for buying it.

Oxford sweatshirts and BJF's


Proud of our purchases we headed back to the train station and waited for our ride back to London.

The magical train

Hello steezy car of the day. What is this you say? I asked the very same question the first time I saw one here in London. Mistaken at first for a Maserati, upon closer inspection you will find it is the new Jaguar. Minus the jaguar hood ornament, and bearing a new logo, the 2009 Jag is a beauty! Bravo Jaguar for revamping and upgrading.

Once we got off the tube we meandered back to the flat, did some sitting which we havent really done today and just relaxed. After awhile I was startving and the girls werent, so I set off to find me some grub. I came accross a little Italian place and gave it a whirl; which was a great decision. After I ate and was walking back I saw a sign for what? What?! Yes...gelato. The substance of my heart. Of course I snagged me a double scoop, bringing back sweet, sweet memories of Italia.

Yes, gelato is number one. But this is actually for gelto numero 11. I missed it so.
It also much tastier because I was wearing my free Oxford tee.
Win win baby.

It was a bellissimo ending to my day. For old times sake...CIAO!

1 comment:

  1. haha you make me laugh! I actually haven't seen anyone in the cville crew since the 4th of July! I guess since Trent and I stopped hanging out that meant I wasn't allowed to come around anymore ;) no biggie! We'll play when you get home for sure. We still need to exchange music. Love you dear!

    ReplyDelete