Saturday, July 25, 2009

7.24.09 London/Pioneer Day

Today sadly is the 24th. Sad because it is only a holiday in my beloved Utah, and one that I highly enjoy. Anything to prolong the fourth and its festivities of barbecues, swimming and illegal fireworks. I chose a different way of celebrating however, and it turned out being just smashing. Today was our first free day that we have had in over a week, and mercy it was needed. After a nice sleep in session, I did some blogging and sketching. I have been so bumbed because of all the things I am just barely missing in Europe. Wimbledon finished earlier this month, we missed the Tour de France in Paris by a week, and all the European soccer season just barely ended. So I was thrilled when I heard about the Wembley Cup. Its a tournament they do every year with 4 European teams, all from different countries. I investigated and found out that some of my favs were playing- Celtic FC, Tottenham Hotspurs, FC Barcelona and Al Ahly. I hopped online and snagged me some tickets. For about $60 I got to watch two games today back to back at one of the biggest stadium in London.

Walking with the masses to the stadium

After waiting about 45 minutes I finally got to pick my ticket up.

As I was walking into the stadium I saw something rather peculiar. In a large cluster of about 30 there were Asian children, all in swine flu masks being hurded by a bunch of people in matching outfits. Why. Why? Was it swine flu day at Wembley Stadium, I am not sure. I thought it was great that they would treat the swine victims to a little soccer, as well as expose them to 70,000 other people.

The fellow on the left is not containing his swine well.

They were EVERYWHERE!

Celtic and Al Ahly. Celtic won 5-0 and have some
funky new jerseys that I am not a fan of.

After the Celtic game there was an hour break before Tottenham and FCB played. For some entertainment there was Tottenhams very own freestlye footballer. I have seen some good ones in my time, but this guy is right up there with Ronaldinho. He was amazing!




In the yellow is the world famous Argentinian Lionel Messi. He is only 22
and undoubtedly one of the best players for FC Barcelona and in the world.

Swine and more swine. Look at the terror on that poor
chaps face in front of them.

It was the best 5 hours I have ever spent. Thank you for the beautiful game!
One day America will wake up and join the rest of the world in
true appreciation for the sport.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment